Thursday, July 1, 2010

Primo - July!

FIRST day of July? Really?? Turning the page on June this year is a little awkward. This is my Mama's birthday month. She said the night she was born, the 25th of July 1929, it HAILED! I guess her mama and daddy KNEW then what they were facing. Red-headed, self-motivated (translated - firey!), and a daddy's girl would explain Dorothy Tomlin. She told the story of how she spent the entire first grade sittin' in the corner. That teacher must have harnessed that little red-headed force of nature because she graduated from high school as valedictorian of her class. Growing up in rural South Georgia, she picked cotton as a young girl and wrung chickens' necks for pluckin' and cookin' Go ahead, ask anyone in our family...who made the BEST chicken and dumplings? You will the same answer each and every single time. Knowing my Mama only as an adult requires me to use my mind's eye to see her as a little girl...but I'm thinkin'...very soon...I may get to SEE with my own TWO eyes what that little girl was all about. Right, Amy?

No comments:

Post a Comment